I hardly cook fish, first thing, hubby dislike to eat fish and the skills of cooking fish dish could be troublesome. However, we always get fish supplies from MIL so… i still have to do it once a while! I was thinking should i do tomato sweet sour fish or something spicy salty, here, i ended with this quite Chinese Style of taste.
Basically i would say only Chinese family will use the fermented salted beans, or named as Tau-Chu to cook dishes. It comes with special fragrance and with it’s salty taste, we can use it for soy sauce or salt replacement.
Fish * Depends your choice
Fermented Salted beans * 1 tbsp
Light Soy Sauce * 1 tsp
Ginger * 2 tbsp (thin slices)
Green Scallion * depends (cut into 1 inches in shape)
Chili * 2 pcs (thin slices)
Garlic * 2 cloves (finely chop)
Water * 4 tbsp
How to cook:
- Heat up the wok with oil and start pan frying the fish. (each side about 5-6 minutes). The fish do not have to 100% cook as we will have to do the next steps later. Once the fish is ready, set it aside in a clean dry plate.
- Heat up the wok with little bit oil and add in the fermented salted beans, garlic, ginger, chili to mix well and stir fry it till fragrance.
- Add in the water and light soy sauce into the paste and add in the fish too.
- Let the fish stew in the paste for 7-8 minutes until the water dry up become a thicker gravy, by that time the fish should be well cook 100%
- Add in the green scallion and cook for 30 seconds
- Ready to served..