Yesterday, i made a traditional taste yet simple dish for dinner, and hubby liked it so much. This is a One pot rice with mushrooms, shrimps and the main ingredient, Chinese Taro (Yam). With it’s fluffy texture, it made the rice taste so yummilicious and i believed if you like Chinese food you will definitely want to give this a try. In Malaysia, people eat this together with a bowl of soup (with sour vegetables and pork parts). Next time i will try to put up this recipe too just let me hunt the ingredients first.
This is a healthier version, as the original recipe requires all the rice to be glutinous rice, however, this is not my style of cooking, thus, i have replaced 1/2 of the glutinous rice to brown rice. It has lower GI rate, better digestion compare to glutinous rice. I would not suggest to replace all glutinous rice to brown rice, as this dish we need to keep the sticky texture to match it to the traditional flavor.
Ingredients: (for 4 pax)
Glutinous rice * 1 cup
Brown rice * 1 cup
Yam * 350g (cut into cubes)
Dried mushroom * 4 pcs (soak it soft and slice it) *** keep the mushroom water too, you will have to use it later.
Dried little shrimps * 8-10 pcs (soak it soft and keep the water too)
Ginger * 1 tbsp (slice it thin)
Sesame Oil * 1/2 tbsp
Canola Oil * 1/2 tbsp
Oyster Sauce * 1/2 tbsp
Light soy sauce * 1/2 tbsp
Dark Soy sauce * 1/2 tbsp
Black Pepper * to taste
Green Scallion * decoration
Garlic * 5-6 cloves
Unsalted Chicken soup * 2 tbsp
Water * 1 and 1/2 cups
How to cook:
- Soak the glutinous rice and brown rice in water for 5 hours
- Heat up the pan with canola oil and fried the ginger slices until fragrance
- Add in the mushroom and shrimps, fried until fragrance. Then set aside. (Ingredient A)
- Using the same pan, add in the glutinous rice and brown rice, start mixing it and frying it.
- Add in the seasoning, oyster sauce, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, black pepper, sesame oil, unsalted chicken soup, mix well with the ingredients. Until the ingredient dry up little and transfer it into rice cooker. (Ingredient B)
- Transfer the Ingredient A into the rice cooker, put it on top of Ingredient B.
- Add the garlic and yam together with water and 4-5 tbsp (the mixture of mushroom and shrimp water)
- Press cooking button and wait.
- Sprinkle the green scallion on top and ready to serve!