Baba & Nyonya cuisine is a cultural mixed dishes in the Malaysia history. Back in the era, there are many Chinese migrated to Malaya to work and get married with the locals. So Baba & Nyonya are the next generation with a combination of 50% Chinese taste with the 50% of Malaya Local delicacies. Thus, these brought the uniqueness in their own dishes.
Today i am making a fusion baba nyonya dishes, traditionally, the assam prawn is cook without the green pepper. However, i wish to get a balance meal and meet the low carb criteria, i have amended this recipe a little different from the original one.
First, let’s gathered all the needed ingredients.
Tamarind/ Assam paste – 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp water (mix well)
White Shrimps – 10 pcs
Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Light Soy Sauce – 1/2 tsp
Pepper bell – 1 pc (cut into square)
Avocado Oil – 1 tbsp
- Clean the white shrimps and pad dry with kitchen paper.
- Marinated the white shrimps into the Tamarind Paste for 30 minutes
- Heat up the Non-Stick pan, add in the avocado oil.
- Add in the white shrimps, stir fry for 1 minute under medium heat.
- Add in the black pepper and salt, and add in the rest of the tamarind water
- Add in the green pepper and stir fry.
- Cover the white shrimps with lid and simmer for 30 seconds or until the white shrimp has turned into red color.
- Ready to serve!