This is a challenge for myself, i am trying to make the Spanish food at home, with some spice substitution. Not the very authentic type but try my best to make it close. Since we have all the ready seafood in the kitchen, this is the best time to cook the seafood paella, that is the seafood festival night for both of us.
Saffron is out from our recipe, as we want to keep lower grocery budget, hence i give it a skip but replaced it with the Spanish Yellow pre-mix rice. It has turn to our very own PnY version of recipe!
Spanish Yellow Rice * 1.5 cups
Chicken Broth (unsalted) * 2.5 cups
Tomato * 3 pcs (i make it into a puree, or you can use canned tomato paste * 2 cups)
Yellow Pepper Bell * 1 pc (cut into small cubes)
Onion * 1/2 pcs (cut into thin slices)
Garlic * 1 tbsp (cut into fine slices)
Big tomato * 1 pc (cut into small cubes)
Olive oil * 3-4 tbsp
Unsalted butter * 1/2 tbsp
White wine * 2 tbsp
Black Pepper * 1 tbsp (Adjustable if you do not like spicy)
Dried Chili Flakes * to taste
Dried Bay Leaf * 2 pcs
Fresh lime * cut into slices
Green scallion * decoration
ketchup * 1 tbsp
Seafood (Any combination as you like)
- Fresh Tuna Fish Fillet * 2 pcs (cut into big slice)
- Shrimp * 6-7 pcs (clean and cut in the back)
- Squids * 1-2 pcs (cut into rings)
- Marinated seafood with little bit of salt for about 1 hour
- Soak the Spanish rice in the chicken broth for 1.5 hour (Ingredient A)
- Blend the tomato into the puree with the blender, add in 1 tbsp ketchup. Heat it up at a pot, add in some black pepper and olive oil and wait for next step. (Ingredient B)
How to cook:
- Heat up the frying pan with olive oil, add in the seafood and bay leaf with very quick stir fry step for about 1 minutes under high heat. Then add in the white wine for little boiling. (The seafood do not have to cook 100%)
- Use the same pan with olive oil, add in garlic, onion and tomato cubes, stir fry until soft and fragrance.
- Add in the Ingredient A, mix well and let it cook for 3 minutes, then add in the Ingredient B.
- Let the entire ingredients cook under high heat for 5 minutes until boiling, then turn to low heat and slow cook until the rice are soften. If the soup is too little, just add in another 1/2 cup of chicken broth continue let it simmering, remember to cover it with a lid. * This takes around 8-9 minutes.
- When you see the liquid start to dry up, and rice is soften, add in all the seafood on top of the rice and let it continue slow cook for about 3 minutes. Meantime, add in the Dried chili flakes, little bit of salt, unsalted butter and black pepper to add the taste.
- Add in the yellow pepper bell at last to keep its vitamin, it just need to have a quick simmer for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the green scallion on top and decorate with some fresh lime, squish the lime into the rice for more kicks!