My family loves all curry from Asian, and it is so easy to cook yet yummy! With the delicious gravy, we can eat it together with Naan bread or Basmati rice. Normally the family that live in Asian, such as Malaysia or Indonesia will cook the curry from scratch, with blending many spices into a paste. But in the states, it is not possible to have all the raw ingredients on hand, I usually use the pre-mixed package from the supermarket.
Normally Rendang do not cook with potato, but i saw this purple potatoes from ALDI, I just want to bring it home and add into my rendang pot. As i have some ready fresh curry leafs from my garden, it is so easy for me to just use it for cooking and sprinkle on top for decoration. Curry leafs is considered as a fresh herb to add in extra kick on the Rendang curry.
Ok, here’s the needed ingredients
Chicken – 500g (cut into cubes)
Rendang Pre-mixed paste – 1 pack
White onion – 1 pc (slices)
Fresh curry leafs – 2 stalks (use only the leafs)
Water – add accordingly
Purple potato – 4-5 pcs (cut into half) * can be substituted with other potatoes
Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
- Heat up the coconut oil in the ceramic pot.
- Add the onion slices into the ceramic pot and stir fry until fragrance.
- When the onion turns brownish, add in the Rendang Pre-mixed paste and continue to stir fry until fragrance.
- Add in the chicken, stir fry and mix well with the Rendang Pre-mixed paste.
- Add in the water, just enough to cover the chicken in the ceramic pot.
- Add in half of the curry leafs.
- Turn to medium heat and cover the ceramic pot with lid. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Check the chicken and stir it occasionally after 10 minutes.
- Add in the purple potatoes and another 1 cup of water.
- Continue cooking until the chicken and purple potatoes become soft.
- Sprinkle the balance of the fresh curry leafs on top of the dish.
- Ready to serve!!