Beef noodle soup is a noodle soup made of stewed or red braised beef, beef broth, vegetables and Chinese noodles. It exists in various forms throughout East and Southeast Asia. The Clear Broth Beef noodle soup was allegedly invented by the Hui people during the Tang dynasty and is commonly known as Lanzhou beef noodle soup.The Sichuan beef noodle soup or Red-braised beef noodle soup (紅燒牛肉麵) was first created by the veterans of Kuomintang in Taiwan.The dish became commonly known as Taiwanese beef noodle soup.
Recipe by saveur
- 2 lb. boneless beef shanks
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2-inch piece ginger, unpeeled, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 10 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 dried chiles de arbol
- ¼ cup Taiwanese rice wine
- 2 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. black vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 medium yellow onions, quartered
- 3 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 4 star anise pods
- 1 Tbsp. whole black peppercorns
- Kosher salt
- 6 baby bok choy
- 2 lb. thin egg noodles
- Pickled mustard greens, chopped, for garnish
- In a large pot, add the beef shanks and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes; drain. Let cool for about 30 minutes, then cut the beef into ½-inch slices.
- In the same large pot, heat the oil over medium-high. Add the beef slices and cook until both sides are lightly browned about 8 minutes.