Egg tarts are famous all throughout Hong Kong and Southern China, with bakeries all over the city offering egg tarts to go for hungry locals. The outer pastry dough is soft and flaky and the inner egg custard is sweet and very enjoyable!
Recipe by kitchenmisadventures
- 250 g plain flour
- 15 g icing sugar
- 125 g butter (cold, cut into cubes)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- egg wash
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a mixing bowl, add flour & icing sugar and mix well.
- Add in cold butter and rub into the flour using your fingers.
- Rub mixture using your hands until it has a rough, crumbly texture (like coarse sand).
- Pour mixture onto a baking tray or clean table, make a well in the center then pour in beaten egg.
- Gently mix the egg in, then knead mixture using your palm until it forms a smooth dough.