The dish derives its name from the three cups of sauces required. For each chicken, a cup each of soy sauce, rice wine (usually mijiu although it may be mixed with Shaoxing jiu), and sesame oil are added. Lin Shangquan, a famous chef in Taiwan, believes that the traditional recipe called for a cup each of soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar, with added ginger, garlic, and basil.
Easy and authentic three cup chicken (san bei ji) recipe that anyone can make at home. This three cup chicken recipe tastes homey and takes 20 mins to make.
Recipe by rasamalaysia
- 1 lb chicken drumsticks, chicken thighs or a combination of chicken parts
- 1 tablespoon baking soda to tenderize the chicken, optional
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2-inch piece old ginger, peeled and cut into thin pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark sweet soy sauce, kecap manis
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
- 1 bunch Thai basil leaves
- Cut the chicken into pieces and rub them with the baking soda.
- Set aside for 10 minutes before rinsing the chicken off with water.
- Make sure the baking soda is completely rinsed off.
- Pat dry the chicken pieces and set aside. This is an optional step.
For Full directions: