Lor Mai Kai is one of the popular plate at Chinese Dim Sum series. It is made with sticky rice or glutinous rice and other savory ingredients, typically can only be found from oriental market. A basic Lor Mai Kai is a mixed and match as you can have the freedom mixing different ingredients to create your own version. Dried shrimp, dried shiitake mushroom, salted yolk, Chinese sausages, chicken, are the major ingredients for this steam glutinous rice chicken or Lor Mai Kai.
Since the butterfly pea flower in my backyard is blooming, so i wanted to make them as one of my special version of Lor Mai Kai. As previous posts, i have mentioned the benefits of butterfly pea flowers, so i will not repeat again here.
Let’s start preparing to make this dish now
Blue Pea Flower Glutinous Rice Chicken (Lor Mai Kai) 蝶豆花糯米鸡
Dried shiitake mushroom – 5 pcs (pick small size : 1 inch diameter)
Dried shrimps – 10g
Salted Yolks – 3 pcs (cut into half)
Glutinous rice – 250g (separate to 2 portions, 200g and 50g)
Garlic & Ginger – 1/2 tbsp (i made it myself, mince both and stir fry in avocado oil)
Chicken – 5 pcs (cube size)
Butterfly pea flowers – 10g
Water – 250g (soak the butterfly pea flowers inside to make the natural blue color)
Light soy sauce – 2 tbsp
Oyster Sauce – 1 tsp
Black pepper – 1/2 tsp
Ingredient B: soak 50g glutinous rice in normal water for overnight
Steps to cook Blue Pea Flower Glutinous Rice Chicken (Lor Mai Kai) 蝶豆花糯米鸡
- Arrange the ingredient C and egg yolks into each small bowl
- Add in the ingredient D onto each small bowl.
- Mixed the water from ingredient C into the balance sauce from Ingredient D, set aside
- Arrange the Ingredient B onto the small bowl as the based layer
- Add the Ingredient A on top of the based layer until covered up all the rest of the ingredients in the small bowl.
- Use a small spoon, slowly add in the sauce in step 3, evenly into each small bowl, about 1 tbsp each
- Heat up the steaming wok with water, arrange the small bowls into the steaming wok and cover it with lid
- Steam at medium heat for about 45-60 minutes
- Serve together with Yeo’s chili sauce!
- Super YUM!!!