Chicken rice is a very popular dish for people from Singapore and Malaysia. Almost everyone will eat chicken rice for lunch or dinner, just because it is so convenient and yummy, and it is easily to find it in the street. To make a good chicken rice from scratch, it is not that simple, however, now we are so lucky to have this ready to cook packages – Singapore Hainanese Chicken Rice.
I would want to combine something unique from Malaysia to this yummy Singapore Hainanese Chicken Rice, which is the butterfly pea flower. Recently butterfly pea flower has been a very popular ingredient to use it for cooking and baking. butterfly pea flower has many benefits shown from the research, antioxidant is the main benefit, where it helps improve the skin conditions etc. Other than that, it also helps reduce the anxiety and stress. Butterfly pea flower has a sharp blue color, which makes it a natural color dyed for food. It is widely use in the nyonya dish or dessert together with coconut milk.
So, this version of Singapore Hainanese Chicken rice is cook with the authentic sauce yet fusion with the other ingredients. Hope you enjoy it!
Butterfly Pea Flower Singapore Hainanese Chicken Rice
1/4 chicken (dark meat) – 2 pcs
Basmati rice – 2 cups
Sweet Glutinous rice – 1/2 cup
Dried Butterfly pea flowers – 7-8 pcs
Water – 550ml
Ginger – 30g (slices)
Marinated sauces: (marinate chicken thighs for 3 hours)
Sesame seeds oil – 3 tbsp
Garlic powder – 2 tbsp
Pink Salt – 1 1/2 tbsp
Black pepper – 1 1/2 tsp
How to cook Butterfly Pea Flower Singapore Hainanese Chicken Rice
- boil the dried butterfly pea flower with water to get the blue dyed extracts.
- Cleanse the basmati rice & glutinous rice and soak it with butterfly pea flower water for a night.
- Add the Singapore Hainanese Chicken Rice sauce pack into the rice and mix well
- Cook the rice with rice cooker
- Prepare the marinated chicken and ginger slices into the steamer
- Cover the Steamer with lid
- Steam it for at least 40-45 minutes (depends the size of the chicken thighs) at low heat
- To check if the chicken thigh is fully cook, use a knife to poke through the center. If find difficulties to poke, then steam for another 20 minutes.
- Display the rice and chicken and ready to eat. Some cucumbers and onion can be added while eating.