Chinese Fujian Five Spice Pork Rolls (五香卤肉卷)
This is the snack that i have been eaten since childhood. My granny, or everybody’s granny will make this pork rolls during our prayers to ancestor and this is quite a luxurious food which we do not always get the chance to eat. However there are street food stall that selling the same pork rolls, we still prefer granny’s recipe all time.
Dried Bean Curd (ToFu) Sheet * 1 pack (cut it into rectangular shape @ 6×5 inches) – my recipe is able to make around 14 pcs pork rolls
Pork (ground) * 400g
Eggs * 2 pcs
Onion * 1/4 pcs (cut into small cubes)
Green Scallion * 2 tbsp (cut finely)
Garlic * 1/2 tbsp (cut finely)
Five Spice Powder * 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper * 1/2 tsp
light Soy sauce * 1/2 tsp
Chili Flakes * 1/2 tsp
Corn Starch * 2 tbsp
Sesame Oil * 1/4 tsp
How to make:
- Mix all the seasoning, ingredient A into a big bowl. Keep in freezer for at least 4 hours
- Get ready the bean curd wrap and damped the edge with water.
- Get a scoop of mixture and put on top of the bean curd wrap and roll it tight. Keep each side at least 1/2 inches and press it tight.
- Get ready to heat up the oil and start deep frying it. Each side is about 30 seconds. Flip around.
- Dip with ketchup/ Thai Chili Sweet and Sour sauce or just eat it without sauce. Your Choice!
** my recipe is low in sodium so it is your choice that you can still adjust a little bit to increase the level of sodium by adding in some salt.